Thursday, August 22, 2013

WORK


Hello!

My name is Oleksiy Nesterenko and I think that my experience would interest to some of you.

I have been working as an investment banker for nearly 6 years. And during my time spent as an investment banker I was fortunate enough to work in 3 countries: United States, United Kingdom, and Russia.

It is not surprising that these places are very different from on another, thus making the working experience in each country “one of a kind”. I greatly enjoyed my time working in each of the countries, yet there are particularities of each country I wish I had known in advance. So I will commence a series comparing various aspects in lives of bankers in those 3 countries, called “Oleksiy Nesterenko’s i-banking experience review”. I will rank each aspect 1 through 5, with 5 being the best.

1st aspect: WORK

Work aspect will be analyzed by looking at:
          Quality of work
          Entrepreneurial spirit
          Work schedule

Quality of work:

US: everyone would agree that the financial markets in the US are the most advanced, and many financial products originated there. As such, investment bankers in the US get introduced to the complexities of the world of finance from the very beginning of their careers.
Score: 5

UK: London has always been and remains to be the financial center of Europe. With the status come obligations. Therefore, quality of work is very similar to the one in the US, yet it still lacks the US.
Score: 4

Russia: Russia switched from government regulated economy only little more than 20 years ago, and it is quiet evident.
Score: 2

Entrepreneurial spirit:

US: investment banking analysts programs in the US are well-oiled machines, and every junior banker is just an easily replaceable bolt. Each level of seniority has their own specific rights and responsibilities, and not following those would be unthinkable.
Score: 2

UK: for many people that join investment banks, investment banking becomes a career. Thus, even though hierarchy is adhered to, it would not be surprising if an analyst got to present a part in a pitch at a meeting.
Score: 3

Russia: it is the most enjoyable side of Russian investment banking. Junior bankers are encouraged to take as much responsibility as he/she can handle.
Score: 4

Work schedule:

US: when I first learned that junior bankers work on average 80 hours per week, I thought it was a joke. During my first week I found out that 80 hours is an understatement.
Score: 2

UK: as I mentioned earlier for many analysts investment banking becomes a career. Therefore, senior bankers do not try to squeeze all of the juices out of you right away.
Score: 3

Russia: working schedule is very similar to the UK. And occasionally you get a weekend off.
Score: 3

Total “Oleksiy Nesterenko’s i-banking experience review” scores for Work aspect:
US: 9
UK: 10
Russia: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment